[CentOS] Does anyone use tcp wrappers (hosts.allow/hosts.deny) anymore?

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 01:35:27 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 8:36 PM, Steven Tardy <sjt5atra at gmail.com> wrote:

> Political reasons shouldn't prevent removing tcp wrappers, but some
> technical reasons still exist.

Interesting double negative. Implies that once the "technical barriers" are
removed, then it's OK to remove old features for change's sake. ;)

Aren't political reasons the reason they are thinking of removing ' em?.
Certainly I see no technical problem with tcp wrappers.

The Unix tradition was to build upon existing tools. As of late, the Linux
approach seems to be "hey this is old, I could add a few medals to my
professional resume and escalate a few positions up the corporate ladder if
I reinvent the wheel and redo this old working code in a totally different
way that breaks backwards compatibility and some third party code, so let's
do it, let's 'move things forward'. Those that oppose it are slowing the
progress of the distro".

Well DUH :-/ Pardon me if I don't cheer such moves.

FC