[CentOS] Does anyone use tcp wrappers (hosts.allow/hosts.deny) anymore?

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Mar 21 13:26:24 UTC 2014

Larry Martell wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 8:33 AM, James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, March 20, 2014 17:34, Always Learning wrote:
>>>
>>> Nothing remains static. Software evolves into usually superior
>>> products. Sentimentally longing for the past hampers the introduction
of new and
>>> better replacements.
>>
>> Yes. For example look how MicroSoft has improved Windows since
>> XPsp3.;-^)
>
> I wouldn't know. I don't use it. I've been programming professionally
> since 1975 and I've managed to never use Windows.

1980. and I've had to. But I worked long and hard to get into *Nix, and
with one 1.25 year excursion otherwise, have managed to stay here.

So I *do* object to my toolset being cut down or mangled when it's
unnecessary. tcp.wrappers, no big deal. Non-plain  text configuration
files, or crap that invokes crap that invokes crap to do what was formerly
done by one program that read one simple configuration file, not so
much....

      mark