[CentOS] sendmail delay in presenting banner

Bart Schaefer barton.schaefer at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 17:05:12 UTC 2014

This is probably being caused by DNS timeout trying to reverse-lookup
the connecting IP.  Check that your resolver (/etc/resolv.conf) is set
correctly and responding to e.g. "dig -x [IP-address]" queries in a
timely manner.  If you are using DHCP, note that /etc/resolv.conf may
be automatically created by the network setup scripts so manual edits
may not "stick".