[CentOS] Is there any benefit to using NetworkManager on a server with a static IP?

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Mar 26 14:20:21 UTC 2014

On 03/25/2014 11:35 PM, Christopher Jacoby wrote:
> Does anyone here actually use NetworkManager on anything but a laptop or
> desktop? I can't seem to figure out a reason to use it on a server.

My RHEL 6 dev server is using NM with four NICs and runs fine.  It
doesn't seem to add any value, but I've not had any problems with it
either.  The four NICs aren't bonded, they're on separate VLANs and
subnets.  One NIC was set up during install, one was setup during
firstboot, and the other two were set up in the NM GUI config.

It appears NM will no longer be optional on EL7, though, at least that's
my understanding of the current situation.  But I reserve the right to
be wrong.