[CentOS] Recompiling the Kernel for CentOS 6.5

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Mar 28 21:06:22 UTC 2014

On 03/28/2014 01:36 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 11:27 AM, Saket Sinha <saket.sinha89 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It was pointed out the CentOS-devel mailing list the below link-
>> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Custom_Kernel
>>
>> which allows me to create a rpm for my customized kernel and install it.
>>
>> Now my question is there no method where in I can apply a kernel
>> source tree from kernel.org(maybe 3,x version) and install it on
>> Centos ?
> No problem. Just use kernel-ml/lt from ELRepo:
>
> http://elrepo.org/tiki/kernel-ml
> http://elrepo.org/tiki/kernel-lt
>
> Akemi

I would point out that I have personally been using kernel-ml on all my
main CentOS-6 workstations for months (maybe even years :D) without
major problems.

The only issue I have ever really had was getting the NVIDIA drivers to
compile post 3.13.x:

http://centosnow.blogspot.com/2014/02/kernel-ml-nvidia-drivers-and-313x-kernel.html

You might also need a newer acpi .. check the known issues here:

http://elrepo.org/tiki/kernel-ml

But, on both my ThinkPad T520 and Dell M4500N laptops, the kernel-ml
works great for me.