[CentOS] Does anyone use tcp wrappers (hosts.allow/hosts.deny) anymore?

Thu Mar 20 19:48:56 UTC 2014
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>

Does anyone use tcp wrappers (hosts.allow/hosts.deny) anymore? And, would
you care strongly if it went away (or would you just migrate to something
else)?

I bring this up because we are discussing dropping it from Fedora. This
would be far enough in the future that it wouldn't impact RHEL 7, and
therefore won't affect anyone here for Quite Some Time*, but here in the new
world order of CentOS, I thought it might be useful to check with some
actual downstream users.

What do you think? Do you rely on hosts.allow/hosts.deny a primary security
mechanism? As defense-in-depth? Do you have policies which mandate it?

Your feedback appreciated. Thanks!

* and the standard caveats that Fedora doesn't necessarily determine the
path for RHEL apply, of course.