[CentOS] ssh-askpass in bash script

Sun Mar 2 18:55:02 UTC 2014
Tim Dunphy <bluethundr at gmail.com>

> Why not just use authorized_keys with an empty pass phrase?

Because that is discouraged due to security.

Exactly right. I'm using authorized_keys on the remote host. But I have a
long, complex passphrase on my private RSA key on my workstation. I think
it's a little foolish to not do that, and in addition it's prohibited by
company policy to use keypairs for ssh without passphrases.

What I'm trying to do is manage that passphrase in my bashrc using
ssh-askpass so I don't have to type it in every time.

 Use keychain[1]. It is provided by the ghettoforge repository for
> instance. Repoforge has it too.

I've never heard of either. But I guess I could give it a shot. However my
preference would be to find the right bash snippet to pop into my bashrc to
allow me to do what I'm trying.

Thanks,
Tim