[CentOS] gnutls bug

Fri Mar 7 16:55:20 UTC 2014
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On 03/05/2014 06:36 PM, Michael Coffman wrote:
> Not sure what your environment looks like but the systems I manage are
> locked down and it's typically difficult to get them changed.   We have
> hundreds of systems ( desktop, server and HPC systems) that are all the
> same rev with all the same packages.   A large number of vendor packages
> and internally developed packages have to be re-qualified everytime
> anything is changed.   So we don't change them often.

Scientific Linux will allow you to stay at a particular update rev (6.0
if you had that requirement, even) but still get security updates.  So
you might consider installing the gnutls update from the SL 6.4 updates
instead, or rebasing to SL completely.

This is one of the few really significant differences between SL and
CentOS; the SL user base wants to be able to get security updates
without a complete 'point release' update, too, and have put forth the
nontrivial effort required to actually make that happen.

I'm using CentOS myself, but if you need that particular feature of SL
it may be the better choice for you.