[CentOS] Samba on Centos 5/6 differences

Tue Mar 11 14:27:51 UTC 2014
SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 7:11 AM, Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com>wrote:

> I'm sure it firewalling, I just don't see it yet. I was just checking to
> see if any of the defaults from versions had changed mostly, something
> less obvious hidden in comments in the config file. I'm not seeing
> anything in log files on the samba server or the firewall.

Have you ran tcpdump on the samba server yet?

tcpdump -i <interface> -nn port 135 or portrange 137-139 or port 445

Add the host or network filter to constrain to just the Samba traffic from
a certain host or network.
tcpdump -i <interface> -nn host x.x.x.x and (port 135 or portrange 137-139
or port 445)
tcpdump -i <interface> -nn net x.x.x.x/y and (port 135 or portrange 137-139
or port 445)

You might rather log the packet capture to file and then open it in
Wireshark...
tcpdump -i <interface> -nn net x.x.x.x/y and (port 135 or portrange 137-139
or port 445) -w /tmp/samba_traffic.pcap

[0] http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_port_usage
[1] http://www.danielmiessler.com/study/tcpdump/

--