[CentOS] OT: missing /dev paths

Wed Mar 12 23:41:29 UTC 2014
zGreenfelder <zgreenfelder at gmail.com>

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 7:24 PM, James Pifer <jep at obrien-pifer.com> wrote:
> Looking for help kind of in a hurry. I've been searching google but not
> finding any options.
>
> Is there any way to fix missing /dev paths to luns without rebooting?
>
> For example, see the output from lsscsi below. The only way I know to
> fix this is with a reboot, but I REALLY Need to avoid that if possible.
>
> Thanks
> James

I found something the other day that might help... I used it to add
new disks to a VM without a reboot.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/vmware-add-a-new-hard-disk-without-rebooting-guest.html

echo "- - -" > /sys/class/scsi_host/host#/scan
fdisk -l
tail -f /var/log/message

is the relevant piece.   note where it says 'host#' you'll need to
find the host number (all mine had 0,1,2); I can't swear this won't
make your host catch on fire, burn to the ground, return as a zombie
and write bad checks in your name, but it seemed to work for me.

--
Even the Magic 8 ball has an opinion on email clients: Outlook not so good.