[CentOS] Disk usage incorrectly reported by du

Thu Mar 20 13:43:54 UTC 2014
Robert Nichols <rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net>

On 03/19/2014 01:37 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 3/19/2014 6:36 AM, Radu Radutiu wrote:
>> I'll modify my rsync command to preserve hard links.
>
> note that on a large file system with a large number of files, thats
> VERY expensive, as rsync has to keep a list of every inode number on the
> whole file system and verify each directory entry isn't pointing to an
> inode its already linked.  if there's a few million files, this data
> structure gets HUGE in memory.

I would hope that rsync is clever enough to do this only for non-directory
files with a link count greater than 1.  Yes, for some backup archives
that still could be the vast majority of the files.

                 Do NOT delete it.