[CentOS] biosdevname

Thu Mar 20 16:33:10 UTC 2014
SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 12:04 PM, Steve Clark <sclark at netwolves.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Anybody else run into problems with biosdevname .0.5..0-2 changing names
> from p2p1 to em1 when upgrading from biosdevname 0.4.1-3?

I'll second Les' statement that this sounds like a bug.

An interface should only be automatically named em1 if it's an onboard NIC
in a (just Dell?) system.

And an interface should only be detected as pXpY if it's a PCI NIC.
THOUGH I've seen it already where an onboard NIC in a Lenovo desktop was
detected as p5p1.

> Darn!
> I thought biosdevname was to keep the names the same!!

A while back I commented about differences I saw with installs of CentOS
6.3 (upgraded to the latest) and a fresh CentOS 6.4 (at the time).  I had
p1pY on the 6.3, but come time for the fresh install of 6.4 I had all ethX
on identical hardware.