[CentOS] Does anyone use tcp wrappers (hosts.allow/hosts.deny) anymore?

Thu Mar 20 20:05:17 UTC 2014
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 12:55:56PM -0700, Keith Keller wrote:
> > What do you think? Do you rely on hosts.allow/hosts.deny a primary security
> > mechanism? As defense-in-depth? Do you have policies which mandate it?
> I currently use it in conjunction with denyhosts, but have been
> considering moving to something like sshguard with iptables instead.  If
> hosts.deny support disappeared then I would simply go that route when
> necessary.
> May I ask what the reason is for considering dropping tcp wrappers
> support?

I think the main reasons are: upstream library isn't actually maintained
since June 2001. The API is somewhat ugly and crufty. Possibly also one more
place to check, making systems administration harder.