[CentOS] Does anyone use tcp wrappers (hosts.allow/hosts.deny) anymore?

Thu Mar 20 23:19:39 UTC 2014
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 05:23:24PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > Yup - that's what we do here, use fail2ban to manipulate iptables.
> Not sure there's a one-to-one mapping or even a conceptual overlap in
> what tcpwrappers and iptables do.   Applications can be configured to
> use different ports than someone setting up iptables might expect -
> and how would you handle portmapper?

Reasonable question. :) Ideally, you'd handle portmapper by using NFSv4 so
it's not required. Or recommend using rpcbind and fixed port numbers. (See
for example
<https://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Deployment_Guide/s2-sysconfig-nfs.html>)

But I think the proposal would leave the library there for legacy programs
which really want to use it, just not link core components to it anymore.