[CentOS] Tar Compression issue

Fri Mar 21 12:57:57 UTC 2014
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 10:55:33AM +0000, Andrew Holway wrote:
> Dear Bonnie,
>
> Your not getting an answer because the emails you are sending look
> like spam to most email filters.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew
>

> On 18 March 2014 09:22, Bonnie B Mtengwa <bmtengwa at potraz.gov.zw> wrote:
> > I have a file Server CentOS 5.10, its on the internet, so I compress all csv
> > into one file using (tar -czvf compressed_files.tar.gz  *.csv)  on this
> > server so that I can download them as one compressed file to save bandwidth,
> > Disk space on this server available is 50Gig, so when I copy the files onto
> > Redhat EL 5.9 and decompress them using (tar -zxvf *.gz) It decompresses
> > maybe 80% then get error:
> >

> > gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
> >
> > tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
> >
> > tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
> >
> > tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
> >

> > what might be the issue here?

Wild guess:
Is the file, by anychance, somewhat over 4 gigs?
I've had a problem, years past, when a particular compression tool
blew up on files over 4 gigs, because it requires an integer
larger than a 32-bit int to hold the file offsets. I wouldn't
really expect that to be a problem on Centos 5.x, even on a
32-bit system, but one does wonder....

Fred

                     all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."