[CentOS] has anybody gotten horde working?

Tue Mar 25 04:05:07 UTC 2014
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 6:38 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

>>> Has anybody gotten this working?
>>>
>>> By the way, this is CentOS 6.5.
>> If you are starting from scratch building a mail server you might want
>> to look at SME server or ClearOS where webmail works out of the box.
>>

> It would be my personal preference that we help people run things on
> CentOS rather than always recommending another distribution.

SME isn't exactly an 'other' distribution, and ClearOS wouldn't be if
CentOS6 had had a timely release.  They are the same code underneath,
just already configured to work as installed and with a few additions.

> I'm not saying there is anything wrong with ClearOS ... I wouldn't know,
> I have never used it.  However, this is a CentOS mailing list, not a
> ClearOS one, so I would appreciate it if we at least answer the
> questions asked concerning setup first before recommending another OS.

If CentOS shipped a distribution that was a decent mail server as
installed then I'd certainly recommend that.  But it's a toolbox with
lots of assembly required.   The dozen or so people who know how to
build their own mail server from scratch probably won't ask my advice.

> I mean, I could also say  ... Use FreeBSD or Microsoft Exchange or
> Something on Mac or whatever.

But those things aren't running the same kernel and packages as
CentOS, so it would make less sense to mention them here.

> If people really, really want to recommend something else then that is
> of course fine ... it is a community list after all.  But even if
> someone does recommend another OS, if YOU know how to fix the problem on
> CentOS ... or ... if a SIG might help, then don't fail to also answer
> the original question asked just because someone else recommended "super
> whamodyne OS version awesome".

The SIG approach will probably work - eventually.  When they have
stuff that comes up doing some job as installed.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com