[CentOS] has anybody gotten horde working?

Tue Mar 25 11:45:24 UTC 2014
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

On 25/03/14 04:05, Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> If you are starting from scratch building a mail server you might want
>>> to look at SME server or ClearOS where webmail works out of the box.
>>>

>> It would be my personal preference that we help people run things on
>> CentOS rather than always recommending another distribution.
>
> SME isn't exactly an 'other' distribution, and ClearOS wouldn't be if
> CentOS6 had had a timely release.  They are the same code underneath,
> just already configured to work as installed and with a few additions.

Whilst I understand why Johnny would prefer to be able to offer a
CentOS-based solution rather than signposting users towards other
products, I must admit I kind of agree with Les here.

My initial thought to Johnny's reply was why would CentOS want to
reinvent this particular wheel, looking to solve a problem that has
already been solved, just not by CentOS.

But if that's what a SIG wants to do, in the CentOS space, fine. Just be
aware that a number of mature products already exist so you have a lot
of catch up work to do just to get off the starting line.

What demand for such a product do you think exists from CentOS users? My
guess is if people want or need that product they have long since been
using the competition's offerings. So how long do you think it will take
to get a CentOS offering to the point it can win back users from the
competition? These are the types of questions I'd be thinking about if I
were considering investing my time in such a SIG.