[CentOS] has anybody gotten horde working?

Tue Mar 25 14:53:14 UTC 2014
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

On 25/03/14 14:06, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> On 03/25/2014 12:45 PM, Ned Slider wrote:

>>> SME isn't exactly an 'other' distribution, and ClearOS wouldn't be if
>>> CentOS6 had had a timely release.  They are the same code underneath,
>>> just already configured to work as installed and with a few additions.
>>>

>> Whilst I understand why Johnny would prefer to be able to offer a
>> CentOS-based solution rather than signposting users towards other
>> products, I must admit I kind of agree with Les here.
>>
>> My initial thought to Johnny's reply was why would CentOS want to
>> reinvent this particular wheel, looking to solve a problem that has
>> already been solved, just not by CentOS.
>>
>> But if that's what a SIG wants to do, in the CentOS space, fine. Just be
>> aware that a number of mature products already exist so you have a lot
>> of catch up work to do just to get off the starting line.
>>
>> What demand for such a product do you think exists from CentOS users? My
>> guess is if people want or need that product they have long since been
>> using the competition's offerings. So how long do you think it will take
>> to get a CentOS offering to the point it can win back users from the
>> competition? These are the types of questions I'd be thinking about if I
>> were considering investing my time in such a SIG.
>>

> On top of what you said, I would add that majority of users are not real
> hard core admins, just people with an itch to scratch. So in that case
> out-of-the-box working system for regular Joe is what they need, a car
> that you can start and drive, not an assembly kit that need weeks of
> learning and putting together before driving it.
>
> SME like ClearOS if what they need, and it is good way to start learning
> about CentOS, since all base packages are just that. I also started with
> ClarckConnect (ClearOS) in 2005, and I started to learn how things work
> once I had my web and mail server running on them.

Yes, I agree.

I see two types of user - those who just want it to work out of the box
with a Windows-like point and click interface to configure things
without really having any clue what is happening under the bonnet, and
those who want to assemble a system from the component parts and have a
fuller understanding of how their system works. For the latter, I wrote
the Postfix series of guides on the Wiki

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos#head-0facb50d5796bee0bd394636c32ffa9a997a6ab5

which were designed to be modular and extensible, allowing folks to
start off with a basic Postfix mail server and add such functionality as
spam/virus filtering or authentication etc to their setup as and when
required, learning the underlying technologies as they go.

Personally I would rather learn how to do something myself rather than
have it pre-configured in such a way as someone else deems appropriate.
That way when it breaks I have a clue how to fix it. So for me, a SIG
needs to be little more than a set of tried and tested documentation I
can follow together with a few extra packages in
/CentOS/SIG/MailServerExtras that are missing from Core (which already
exist in Repoforge and EPEL anyway). I don't want/need a pre-configued
installable ISO image or whatever that has already made lots of
predetermined choices for me.