[CentOS] Is there any benefit to using NetworkManager on a server with a static IP?

Wed Mar 26 11:58:36 UTC 2014
Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com>

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 06:42:28AM -0400, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> On 03/25/2014 11:35 PM, Christopher Jacoby wrote:
> > Does anyone here actually use NetworkManager on anything but a laptop or
> > desktop? I can't seem to figure out a reason to use it on a server.

As the mail thread shows, Fedora is making it more of a base system item.

> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2014-January/msg00061.html

However, judging by Fedora forums, (but this is hearsay--as another old
person disliking change, I remove it on everything, even laptops), it seems
to still sometimes cause problems.  However, that's hearsay, and quite
possibly only causes problems for newcomers, I don't follow any of the
threads that closely.
It does seem that hand editing
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-whatever doesn't completely work
anymore--however, I can't confirm that, I've run into it at random times,
and one can get a card working properly with system-config-network-tui.

(On Fedora, not on CentOS-6.x--on CentOS, hand editing the file works as
expected)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6