[CentOS] Disappearing Network Manager config scripts

Keith Keller kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
Thu May 1 14:45:02 UTC 2014

On 2014-05-01, Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> I haven't followed this thread too closely, so if this has already been
> stated, please forgive me.

It was not explicitly stated, so I appreciate the succinct summary.
Thanks!

> Judging from both recent editions of Fedora and the free beta RH7, you
> don't HAVE to use NetworkManager.  You will have to manually turn it off
> and turn network on, and judging by later versions of Fedora (though not at
> all deeply researched by me) you may need to use the
> system-config-network-tui tool rather than just editing
> /etc/sysocnfig/network/network-scripts/ifcfg-*.

Can you recall what gave you this impression?  It'd be frustrating to
me to have to keep my hands off of the config files directly.  (If not,
I understand; if I really want to know that badly I should just check it
myself.)

> Unfortunately, (and freely admitting much of this may be old person's get
> of my lawn attitude), it does seem that the Fedora developers are working
> for the single user laptop, and have little concept of system
> administration--or, to be fair, have little interest in things for the
> system administrator, and unfortunately, RedHat just throws these things
> into their next enterprise version without checking.

Could this be a SIG in the future?  "CentOS NM-Haters SIG"  ;-)

Does RH really "just throw these things in"?  It seems like they would
annoy many of their more tech-savvy customers with moves like this one
(if it were to happen).

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us