[CentOS] plug in USB device no longer noticed by system

Fred Smith

fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu May 1 18:39:19 UTC 2014

Hi all!

My C6 box seems to have developed this problem somewhere during recent
weeks. not quite sure when, but I've noticed it several times lately.

Whenever I plug in a USB device, be it a camera or a HD or a mouse,
nothing happens. I mean nothing. /var/log/messages doesn't show any
activity, lsusb does not show the new device.

Back at the start of Feb I did move the raid1 pair of HDs to a new
motherboard, so I suppose it could go back that far. I did try to
make sure everything was working at that time, and I can't remember
if I verified that USB autodiscovery was working. But it for sure
isn't now.

I use a USB keyboard and USB mouse, but they seem to be discovered
at boot time and work fine thereafter. but adding any other devices
after boot isn't working.

I'd appreciate thoughts on how to troubleshoot/fix this.

thanks!