[CentOS] Terminal settings

Nathan Duehr denverpilot at me.com
Mon May 5 18:59:14 UTC 2014

On May 1, 2014, at 1:16 PM, Ashley M. Kirchner <ashley at pcraft.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 1:12 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
>

>> oh, left out, on terminal->appearance, also set character encoding to UTF-8
>>

> Tah-ah! That fixed it!  That's what I've been overlooking all this time.
> Thanks much!

Sorry, been busy and missed this thread, but here's a bit more help, if it's useful...

To set it for all future terminals isn't completely intuitive... go to Global Options -> General -> Default Session, and that'll get you to the defaults that will be used when any new Session is created.

Good ol' SecureCRT... it's a bit odd.

One fun "trick" with SecureCRT (or anything that's been around the block long enough to know what ZModem is/was...) install the lrzsz package on your Linux systems, and then pick any file you want to send to your Winderz machine, "sz [filename]"... and watch the auto-start ZModem fun begin... heh... or the opposite direction, "rz"... and pick from the ZModem menu in SecureCRT what file you want to send...

It'll take ya right back to BBS'ing in the 80s.  :-)

Minicom, of course, will also play this game. Ahh, the fun of back-door file transfers on serial consoles! LOL... :-)

--
Nate Duehr
denverpilot at me.com