[CentOS] RHEL7 beta discussions?

Les Mikesell

lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue May 6 18:16:08 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 7:26 AM, SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> This one might be more of a GNOME3 question.   I'm running the RHEL7
>> beta on a laptop where I used to run windows xp.   It's a Dell
>> Latitude w/docking station and the dock has a coax/digital sound
>> output.  On windows, it would automatically switch to the analog
>> headphone jack if I plugged headphones in.  With linux there is a
>> widget in the top bar on GNOME that has the volume control and a
>> 'sound settings' option that I can open and pick digital or headphone
>> output but it has to be done manually.  Is there any way to get the
>> windows behavior of using headphone output whenever they are plugged
>> in?
>>

> While I can't speak for RHEL7, the expected behavior is seen when using
> GNOME3 under Fedora.
>
> When I plug in my headphones to the 3.5mm jack, a small headphone icon
> shows up to the right of the speaker icon.

Running the RC now - I get the headphone icon if I am already switched
to analog and the expanded sound settings window shows 'speakers'
before I plug in.  The larger picture switches to headphones too.  And
if I am switched to headphones and remove the headphone jack it
auto-switches to digital output (spdif).   The part that still seems
missing is that if it is on spdif and I plug the headphones in,
nothing happens.    It is sort of an odd setup where the spdif jack is
in a docking station, but windows did the auto-switch both directions.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com