[CentOS] Format big drives (4TB) in the installer?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed May 7 15:12:50 UTC 2014

On 5/7/2014 7:41 AM, CS_DBA wrote:
> Originally I tried to simply upgrade an older server with more drive
> space, I installed six (6)  4TB drives and did a new CentOS 6.5 install
> but the OS would not allow me to configure more than 2TB per drive.
>
> Subsequent research leads me to conclude that if the bios supports UEFI
> and the installer boots as such then the installer should see 4TB drives
> without any issues.  I'm also assuming that any server I order today
> (i.e. a more modern server) should ship with UEFI support in the bios.

anaconda's installation time partitioning tool doesn't support GPT
format disks, as far as I know.

if you boot to a shell prompt, and use gparted and the lvw commands to
setup the disks the way you want, making sure /boot is in the first
terabyte of the drive, then you should be able to install to those
existing partitions/lvs...