[CentOS] Format big drives (4TB) in the installer?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed May 7 18:49:52 UTC 2014

On 5/7/2014 11:36 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Also, my manager is very much not a fan of LVM, but we do have*large*
> RAIDs - we use RAID 6 for data, though we've used RAID 1 for /boot and /.
> Since I keep reading that "we really need to fix the fsck,etc tools for >
> 16TB in the next year" for the last 4 years (at least), I partition them
> as 14-16TB, and that works just fine.

Nowdays, any data volumes other than root and boot I format xfs. no fsck
or > 16TB problems there.

I generally use raid10 for data, as my data is usually database oriented
and raid6(0) performs poorly on committed random writes. raid6 or 6+0
gets used for large archival 'nearline' applications, like a backup server.

After avoiding lvm for years, I've found its too handy.   the root vg
will have an adequate sized / and /home and lots of unassigned space, so
if I need more space for / or /home I can allocate it later.   I tend to
use dedicated xfs file systems for my database server versus other
application file storage requirements, these will all be on the data vg.