[CentOS] Virtualising legacy CentOS 4.x servers

Simon Banton

centos at web.org.uk
Wed May 14 17:39:00 UTC 2014

Dear all,

I look after a number of CentOS 4.x servers running legacy
applications that depend on ancient versions of various things (such
as MySQL 3.x) and which can't be upgraded without non-trivial
development effort.

I've been considering virtualising them and as a test have been
trialling with a company that uses Parallels Cloud Server 6.

However, I've run into a roadblock in that the Parallels Tools
installer in PCS6 require a version of glibc higher than that which
is available in CentOS 4.x (v2.5 required versus v2.3.4 installed).

Without the guest OS tools installed it's impossible to migrate a VM
from node to node or back it up without shutting the VM down first,
which is less than useful.

So I have two questions:

1) Does anyone know if there is a version of the PCS6 Tools built
against glibc 2.3.4 available anywhere?

2) Is there an alternative virtualisation environment I should be
looking at which fully supports CentOS 4.x as a guest OS? And if so,
does anyone have recommendations for a hosting supplier that offers
that environment (ideally UK based).

Many thanks
Simon