[CentOS] Virtualising legacy CentOS 4.x servers

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Fri May 16 00:47:55 UTC 2014

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 1:46 PM, Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca> wrote:

> I've virtualized EL4 on KVM on EL6 without issue.
>
> digimer

I've had to do the same for one system as well.
In my case we're slowly trying to kill (migrate) off that machine, but the
physical-to-virtual transition bought us some time.
( It was a hardware nightmare and power reduction win. )

If you can build, configure, and maintain a KVM set up then it would be
worth your while.

For the VM, it not too hard to set up the partitions, format the file
system (be careful of ext specific flags that may need adjusted from the
default!), rsync the files, install a bootloader, and re-roll the initrd
with virtio support (if necessary).

I know some people use Clonezilla to migrate VMs.
I'm sure we'd find other people have alternative methods if those people
speak up!

Good luck.

--
Mike