[CentOS] Sorry

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Fri May 16 17:19:31 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 1:07 PM, Steve Clark <sclark at netwolves.com> wrote:

> Could someone explain again why we are not suppose to top post?

It is proper mailing list etiquette.

There's no hard and fast rule that a person cannot top post (c'mon it
happens).  But it definitely is nice when people don't.

> I have heard that is so when people come in late they can just read from
> top to bottom and
> find out what is going on. The only problem I have with that argument is
> most times people
> snip large parts of the thread so you don't have all the info anyway. And
> If I pick up a thread late
> I don't have any problem with reading someone's reply on top and then
> reading on to find out
> what the thread is about.

Bottom posting allows a person to read from oldest to newest.
And posting inline as many of us do, allows our comments to be grouped with
the content we're making a remark about.

It's also mighty nice when people trim out the old stuff that they're not
commenting on.  At least when it's loooooong email.  (And there's the
disadvantage with missing content from snipping as you pointed out above.)

Have a happy Friday everyone.

--
Mike