[CentOS] Sorry

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri May 16 17:33:55 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 12:07 PM, Steve Clark <sclark at netwolves.com> wrote:

> Could someone explain again why we are not suppose to top post?

Because list messages go to many people who are only slightly
interested and it makes it difficult to know what question is being
answered.

> I have heard that is so when people come in late they can just read from top to bottom and
> find out what is going on.

Yes.

> The only problem I have with that argument is most times people
> snip large parts of the thread so you don't have all the info anyway.

That's a feature, not a problem.

> And If I pick up a thread late
> I don't have any problem with reading someone's reply on top and then reading on to find out
> what the thread is about.

List conversations diverge over the course of the thread. One person's
response may answer one question and another be about a completely
different part.  Subsequent responses to each of these may have little
to do with earlier parts of the thread.  If each message contains the
correct context, no one has to bother wading through the earlier
messages only to find that they are mostly irrelevant.    And in any
case, your mail reader should be able to track the thread backwards in
the unlikely event that you do want to read the whole previous set of
messages so there is never a need to copy/quote the whole thing.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com