[CentOS] Mother board recommendation

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri May 16 18:16:08 UTC 2014

On 5/16/2014 11:09 AM, Joseph Hesse wrote:
> The question in my mind is: should I just buy another workstation class
> motherboard and duplicate what I already have or buy a motherboard which
> is intended to be used as a server?

I won't run a server that doesn't have ECC main memory.   most desktop
hardware doesn't support ECC.

at home, Im using a HP MicroServer N40L

for my public internet server (at a coloc site), I just picked up a HP
DL180 G6 with 24gb ram, and 2 x Xeon X5650 cpus (6 cores each at
2.66ghz) and SAS2 raid with 14 3.5" SAS/SATA bays for $740 from ebay.
At work, we paid $6500 each for a similarly configured machines about 3
years ago.   this is a 2U rackmount server, and far too noisy for
anywhere but in a rack in a data center...