[CentOS] Centos backup tools

Keith Keller kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
Fri May 16 20:14:13 UTC 2014

On 2014-05-16, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> The most unique thing about backuppc is that it has its own
> implementation of rsync that can work with the compressed archive
> files on the server and a stock remote rsync version accessing the
> target files.   Or, it can use tar or samba to transfer the files,
> with all duplicate files pooled regardless of the location or transfer
> method.  And it has a nice web interface for
> configuration/browsing/restores.

One thing I really like about rsnapshot is that you can take the latest
snapshot and almost literally drop it in to replace the original.  This
is appealing to me if, for example, the mobo on the main fileserver
dies; I can simply change IP addresses, run the right daemons, and my
users are back up without too much data loss and without having to wait
a long time for a restore process.  Is this possible with backuppc?  I
don't know enough about how the backend data store is organized to know
if this is a reasonable use case.

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us