[CentOS] Disable login at boot

Joseph Spenner joseph85750 at yahoo.com
Tue May 20 22:05:59 UTC 2014

> Karalyn Capone wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Can anyone tell me the file / edit location to disable the
>> login/password prompt at boot? We are configuring some machines to be
>> administered remotely and headless.

Curious why login/password needs to be disabled for remote admin.. ?

You could have a 'blank' root password by editing the /etc/shadow and removing the password hash in the root entry.

ie:

change first line from:
root:$1$/Pf93ewQ7p$CkblarG3W5hWDZ2hXnBUn/:15530:0:99999:7:::
root::15530:0:99999:7:::

Then, logging in as root and <enter> for password.

Only if security is not a concern though.

If life gives you lemons, keep them-- because hey.. free lemons.
"♥ Sticker" fixer:  Heart Fixer!

   Heart Fixer!
Annoyed by those:   I  my poodle    or    I  my pit bull stickers? Look no further!   Now you can make it right! Just slap one of these  over the ! Then: becomes:...
View on microflush.org Preview by Yahoo