[CentOS] Disable login at boot

Richard Zimmerman rzimmerman at riverbendhose.com
Wed May 21 13:02:49 UTC 2014

>anything you want running automatically, put it in a service script in /etc/rc.d/init.d and symlinked to appropriate run level directories via chkconfig servicename on
>
>or put it in /etc/rc.local although that method is rather deprecated.

I guess I'm an artifact :)

I use /etc/rc.local.<machinename> and chkconfig level 99 to start my "local" scripts... Guess some old habits don't die very well :)

As far as local logins, yes don't disable it and use a strong password.

For remote logins, I use 4096 bit encryption, disable root and password logins and use 4096 bit rsa_keys to login as a local user. Then su to root to do what I need to. I love looking at the logs and seeing the foolish saps who keep trying brute force password attacks :)

For backups I use rsync and give the local user su rights to it.

Hopefully some of this helps...

Richard

---
Richard Zimmerman