[CentOS] Disable login at boot

Dan Hyatt dhyatt at dsgmail.wustl.edu
Wed May 21 15:00:32 UTC 2014

On 5/20/2014 11:51 PM, Clint Dilks wrote:
> On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 2:18 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
>
>> On 5/20/2014 6:59 PM, Karalyn Capone wrote:
>>> Not disable the screen. I just want the machine to log in on boot
>> automatically.
>>
>> huh?   linux boots up and runs all services without any console log
>> on.   This isn't MS Windows.
>>
>> anything you want running automatically, put it in a service script in
>> /etc/rc.d/init.d and symlinked to appropriate run level directories via
>> chkconfig servicename on
>>
>> or put it in /etc/rc.local although that method is rather deprecated.
I can think of a time/place where you would NOT want people to have to
log in. You are setting up either virtualized sessions or a standalone
kiosk where you want people to be able to go specific locations/websites
But not have to log on.

For instance, you have a kiosk, not connected to the internet,  and you
want people to be able to view your standalone web pages
Another instance, is a business center where you want people to be able
to surf specific web pages, you set up a user with no password who goes
straight to the webpage or java app and has very restricted access (even
having the whole thing on a read only filesystem...except for logs