[CentOS] USB-3.0 on C6.5 ??

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri May 23 14:19:49 UTC 2014

On 05/22/2014 09:09 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
> Just wondering if there are any known issues with USB 3.0 storage devices
> in Centos 6.5??
>
> I just got one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817332028
>
> it does either esata or USB 3.0. My new motherboard (ASUS M5A99X EVO
> R2.0) supports both, so I've tried both (of course, can't have a feature
> without at least giving it a whirl! :)). esata seems to work fine,
> I can copy gigs 'n gigs of data to it using the esata connection.
>
> however, with USB3 it works for a bit then something goes wonky...
> After copying some hundreds of megabytes (and I don't know if it is a
> consistent number or not) suddenly my C6 box starts reporting write
> errors.
>
> some investigation shows that /dev/sdc (and /dev/sdc1) no longer exist
> on the system. it takes a reboot to get it back. After which it'll
> work for a while then the same thing all over again. I've tried a
> different USB 3.0 cable but it makes no difference.
>
> Anyone got ideas on this?

I have that motherboard, but I have not used USB3 on it.  I have used
USB3 via this card:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BB7TVMO

and this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006K25AX4

On two separate laptops ... with no problems with either.

I would recommend that you have the latest firmware for the motherboard:

http://bit.ly/1njpc2Y

The last 2 BIOS updates are for USB ... the most recent one less than 2
weeks ago (Version 2501, 2014.05.14)

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes