[CentOS] USB-3.0 on C6.5 ??

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat May 24 01:52:11 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 09:19:49AM -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 05/22/2014 09:09 PM, Fred Smith wrote:
> > Just wondering if there are any known issues with USB 3.0 storage devices
> > in Centos 6.5??
> >
> > I just got one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817332028
> >
> > it does either esata or USB 3.0. My new motherboard (ASUS M5A99X EVO
> > R2.0) supports both, so I've tried both (of course, can't have a feature
> > without at least giving it a whirl! :)). esata seems to work fine,
> > I can copy gigs 'n gigs of data to it using the esata connection.
> >
> > however, with USB3 it works for a bit then something goes wonky...
> > After copying some hundreds of megabytes (and I don't know if it is a
> > consistent number or not) suddenly my C6 box starts reporting write
> > errors.
> >
> > some investigation shows that /dev/sdc (and /dev/sdc1) no longer exist
> > on the system. it takes a reboot to get it back. After which it'll
> > work for a while then the same thing all over again. I've tried a
> > different USB 3.0 cable but it makes no difference.
> >
> > Anyone got ideas on this?
>
> I have that motherboard, but I have not used USB3 on it.  I have used
> USB3 via this card:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BB7TVMO
>
> and this one:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006K25AX4
>
> On two separate laptops ... with no problems with either.
>
> I would recommend that you have the latest firmware for the motherboard:
>
> http://bit.ly/1njpc2Y
>
> The last 2 BIOS updates are for USB ... the most recent one less than 2
> weeks ago (Version 2501, 2014.05.14)

Just installed the 2501 BIOS (it had 2201) and the problem still occurs.
sigh
:( :(

but at least it's not a show-stopper, the device appears to work fine
using esata.

  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding