[CentOS] USB-3.0 on C6.5 ??

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sun May 25 03:19:48 UTC 2014

On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 01:54:13PM +0200, Mihai T. Lazarescu wrote:
> On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 09:52:11PM -0400, Fred Smith wrote:

> You may try using a newer kernel from ElRepo (currently 3.14.4):
>
>     http://elrepo.org/tiki/kernel-ml
>
> If it were a driver problem, maybe it was fixed.
>
> Mihai

I may have to try that, but not quite yet.

I just ran some more experiments:
1. using a USB 2.0 cable on a USB 2.0 port. couldn't make it fail.
2. using a USB 2.0 cable on a USB 3.0 port. hasn't failed yet,
   still testing.

the USB3 functionality comes from a different chip than the USB2:
03:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1042 SuperSpeed USB Host Controller
whereas USB2 comes from an AMD SB9x chip.

I'm thinking that it USB2 works, even when managed by a USB3 chipset,
should mean something. but I"m not sure if it means that simply slowing
it down solves the problem, or if it means that we're not using all
the functionality of the chipset, bypassing something buggy. or maybe
bypassing bugs in the ASMedia kernel driver.

  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding