[CentOS] bash script reading directory with while and do

Paolo De Michele

paolo at paolodemichele.it
Sun May 25 10:08:08 UTC 2014

hi everyone,

I'm searching to do a functionally bash script for copy many file inside
in a directory
the scenario is:

root path= /var/www/clients/
inside of this there are many subdirectories with this name: client1 to
x (depends of the customer)
it happens that a customer not renew the contract and I would stopping
to do a backup directory for him.

this operation should be versatile and very easy
so, I don't understand the error in this script. look below:

!/bin/bash

while read line;
do
        read NR PATH NAME<<<$(IFS=" "; echo $line)

        cd /var/www/clients/
        cp -R $PATH /backup/temp/www/
        cd /backup/temp/www/

        tar cfz `date +%F`_$NAME.tar.gz web$NR/