[CentOS] CentOS-6.5 rescue disk?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Mon May 26 12:38:25 UTC 2014

Always Learning wrote:

>> > Is there such a thing as a CentOS rescue disk?
>> > Google gives many links to such a thing,
>> > but when I pursue them I do not get to an URL
>> > where I can actually download one.
>
> Try
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/systemrescuecd

Thanks, I'll try that.

I actually found that a Fedora-20 Live CD (on a USB stick)
did the trick.
After booting into the Troubleshoot option
and then choosing "Boot from local disk"
it actually found the current CentOS-6.5 system
and booted into it.

I was quite surprised as the system had two other OSes on it -
a Fedora-20 partition and an old CentOS partition.
I assume the rescue found and used the setup in the /boot partition.

But if it can do this, it seems a pity that grub cannot offer
at least an alternative to the flashing "-" it was showing me.

It also seems a pity that the CentOS Live CD
does not offer a similar Troubleshooting option.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net