[CentOS] The state of xfs on CentOS 6?

Keith Keller kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
Wed May 28 18:18:28 UTC 2014

On 2014-05-28, m.roth at 5-cent.us <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
> We're looking at getting an HBR (that's a technical term, honkin' big
> RAID). What I'm considering is, rather than chopping it up into 14TB or
> 16TB filesystems, of using xfs for really big filesystems. The question
> that's come up is: what's the state of xfs on CentOS6? I've seen a number
> of older threads seeing problems with it - has that mostly been resolved?

I have some largish (>20TB) xfs filesystems on CentOS 6, and things seem
fine.  The one issue I had, quite a while ago (and maybe even in CentOS
5?), was with growing the fs, but I grew one on CentOS 6 recently with
no problems.

> How does it work if we have some *huge* files, and lots and lots of
> smaller files?

Define "huge".  It seems fine for our use with multi-dozen-GB files
(possibly getting to >100GB files) and many small files, but our load is
generally not that heavy.

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us