[CentOS] The state of xfs on CentOS 6?

Keith Keller kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
Wed May 28 18:52:35 UTC 2014

On 2014-05-28, m.roth at 5-cent.us <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> At the moment, files that are tens of gigs, but I would not be at *all*
> surprised to see another decimal point there in the next year or two. HBR
> - a Jetstor 742 with 42 4TB drives.... I'm assuming they'll want me to do
> RAID 6 for this, as we've been doing on other RAIDs.

That's significantly bigger than what I have running, but I have heard
of people running XFS on larger filesystems than I have.

If you're making one large filesystem out of that, the warning James
mentioned is even more important: you will want a boatload of memory to
xfs_repair that fs quickly.  The rough rule of thumb I've read (which is
probably akin to the 2x RAM==swap guideline) is at least 1GB of memory
for every 1TB of storage, but the more the better, I'd wager.

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us