[CentOS] The state of xfs on CentOS 6?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed May 28 19:21:47 UTC 2014

On 5/28/2014 11:13 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> We're looking at getting an HBR (that's a technical term, honkin' big
> RAID). What I'm considering is, rather than chopping it up into 14TB or
> 16TB filesystems, of using xfs for really big filesystems. The question
> that's come up is: what's the state of xfs on CentOS6? I've seen a number
> of older threads seeing problems with it - has that mostly been resolved?
> How does it work if we have some*huge*  files, and lots and lots of
> smaller files?

I've had good luck with XFS file systems of 80TB or so for nearline
archival storage.   thats 36 3TB SAS drives organized as 3 x 11 raid6+0
with 3 hotspares.

found two minor(?) gotchas so far with XFS

1) NFS doesn't like 64bit inodes.  you can A) only nfs share the root of
the giant XFS file system (this *is* the traditional way, but people
from a Windows background seem to like to micromanage their shares), or
B) use UUID exports (not compatible with all nfs clients in my
experience), or C) specify fsid=NNN for a arbitrary unique NNN for each
export on a given server.    We opted for C.

2) I just discovered the other night that KVM doesn't like  booting disk
image files stored on xfs on a 4K sector device (in my case, this was an
SSD).   solution was to specify cache=writeback, which somehow bypasses
O_DIRECT.  There's probably other fixes, but that works well enough.

also, there was a bad kernel in 6.3 or something, that had a serious bug
with XFS.    the fix came out 2-3 weeks after 6.3 was released, but I
ran into internal operations people who don't update production systems,
if you say you tested something on 6.3, then they use 6.3 forever.
They pathologically skip my installation step 2, "yum -y update".