[CentOS] "new" computers and monitors

Bowie Bailey Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Wed May 28 19:26:20 UTC 2014

On 5/28/2014 3:00 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Wed, 28 May 2014, Bowie Bailey wrote:

>> It can get fairly "interesting" depending on what you are trying to do.
>> You may need a special crossover cable to connect the two computers
>> directly.  The newer network cards may be able to handle doing this with
>> a standard cable, but I haven't tried it.
>>
>> Why do you want to connect the two computers like this?  It is usually
>> more trouble than it's worth unless you want to use the first computer
>> as a firewall or something.  Just connect both of them to your router
>> and everything should work fine.
> I don't know that I do.
> I've not done anything with a router since connecting
> my old computer to CenturyLink's router/modem.
>
> I want the second computer to not have its own global IP address.
> It will at least occasionally run Windows.
> I'd prefer not to assume that Windows will
> not try to fetch an IP address behind my back.

The router should have a built-in switch with multiple network jacks.
Just plug the new computer into the router along with the old one and
you should be fine.

Consumer grade Internet connections only give you a single global IP
address, so anything connected to your router will use that same IP
address globally.  The router will do NAT and DHCP for the internal
machines to give them a local address.

(I am assuming that you have a standard modem/router combination that
does NAT/DHCP.  As Les mentioned, if you have a simple modem that
connects to your computer without the built-in router, things will be
more complicated.)

Windows will fetch a local IP address (as will Linux) unless you specify
one yourself and disable DHCP.  The Windows and Linux OS's on the same
box may or may not automatically get the same local IP address depending
on how the router handles it.  What is your concern about the IP address?

--
Bowie