[CentOS] "new" computers and monitors

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed May 28 19:27:40 UTC 2014

On 5/28/2014 12:00 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> I want the second computer to not have its own global IP address.
> It will at least occasionally run Windows.
> I'd prefer not to assume that Windows will
> not try to fetch an IP address behind my back.

what do you mean by 'global IP address' ?  are you on a LAN behind some
sort of firewall/gateway, or are these systems directly connected to the
public internet ?

To do what you describe, you'll need to configure the 2nd port on the
primary system to be a private IP like 192.168.0.1, and implement IP
Masquerade via iptables.  You'll also want to configure a DHCP server on
this second port so any clients connected to it will be offered IP's in
that subnet.   This will make that primary system act like a SOHO
'router' (I use quotes, because that sort of router is really a internet
gateway appliance)

note, btw, 'occasionally running windows' will be a huge pain.  If
occasional means a few times a month, nearly every time you boot up
Windows, you'll be installing windows updates and rebooting.  and flash
and java and acrobat and all the rest of it.....