[CentOS] OEM suggestions

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu May 29 15:46:05 UTC 2014

Andrew Holway wrote:
> On 29 May 2014 16:26, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>
>>    I'm working on finding some new compute nodes. What I'm looking for
>> is a 64 core box, with room enough for a lot of RAM. I can get it from
>> Dell, or HP (bleah! a 4U box), but I need to have three quotes, y'know.
>> We've gotten a lot from Penguin in the past, but they're all
>> Supermicro, and we've had a *lot* of problems with the 64 core boxes,
>> so I'm looking for another vendor.
>
> Whats wrong with the SuperMicro 64 core boxes? I have never seen any
> problems with them. I assume you mean AMD, in which case the IPMI sucks
> but other than that.....

They're crap. We've had to send a number of them - we've got something
like a couple dozen of them, and at least 4 of them had to be sent back,
and got a m/b replacement after they verified, with our test, why they
crashed, and one or two got sent back *twice*.

> Dell PowerEdge R815's are pretty ok.

I agree. But I do need a third quote, though I suppose I could get a
reseller along with Dell and the HP. I was sort of looking for anther
vendor that's got 64 cores in 1U (the Dell's 2U).

     mark