[CentOS] OEM suggestions

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Fri May 30 18:14:11 UTC 2014

Am 30.05.2014 um 19:34 schrieb John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>:

>> SuperMicro gear is only as good as the server integration company selling
>> it.
>
> bingo.    I think too many people buy 'whitebox' supermicro stuff direct
> and self-integrate, then are surprised when there are issues.
> Integration needs to include testing.   All that integration and testing
> is why brands like HP are more expensive, you can usually assume its
> going to work.

True.
The thing I hate about HP is that their SSD offerings are IMO a joke.

Not only are they several times as expensive as an equivalent Intel SSD (even taking into account that we don’t pay list-price) but in addition, they perform only half as well (in terms of IOP/s).

I suspect it’s because HP does not include a super cap and thus their SSDs don’t do write-caching (which the Intel does).

Also, due to the fact that they don’t offer a SAS-Controller that does JBOD, you have to setup each drive individually as a RAID0 - which is totally stupid, once you run something like FreeBSD where HPACUCLI is not available. Each failed drive necessitates a reboot then.

I could of course buy an LSI JBOD controller (which would also allow me to buy Intel SSDs) - but what’s the point of buying a HP server then?

IMO, HP does not want you to actually make good use of current-generation enterprise-SSDs - they’d prefer you buy a couple of dozens of P2000 arrays instead…