[CentOS] clamav

S.Tindall tindall.satwth at brandxmail.com
Fri May 30 23:41:05 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-05-30 at 14:14 -0700, Emmett Culley wrote:
> On 05/30/2014 10:46 AM, John R Pierce wrote:
> > On 5/30/2014 8:27 AM, Emmett Culley wrote:
> >> So I removed it all again and reinstalled from RPMforge.  Now it all works as expected.  I never should have switch from RPMforge to EPEL for these programs.
> >

> > actually, IMHO, you should have switched.   EPEL is much better
> > maintained than RPMforge these days.   the catch is, to do that switch
> > cleanly, you woudl have had to completely uninstall the rpmforge
> > version, disable rpmforge, THEN install the epel version
> >
> I did that, and still clam failed to filter mail.  I do admin that I didn't delete "all" related files before installing from EPEL, ANsd I do also feel that EPEL is the better choice, so I guess I'll do it all over again.
>
> Emmett

Way up in this thread, you mentioned updating amavisd-new from epel plus
clam\* from epel. In addition to the user clamav vs clam issue, epel
amavisd uses service clamd.amavisd, whereas the rpmforge amavisd uses
service clamd.

 # rpm -q amavisd-new clamd postgrey
 amavisd-new-2.8.0-8.el6.noarch
 clamd-0.98.3-1.el6.i686
 postgrey-1.34-1.el6.noarch

 # service clamd status
 clamd is stopped

 # service clamd.amavisd status
 clamd.amavisd (pid  2860) is running...

The use of clamd.amavisd actually simplifies the setup since you don't
need to add group amavis to clam.

 # id clam
 uid=493(clam) gid=493(clam) groups=493(clam)

Looking through my rpmforge > epel conversion notes, the other
significant issue was to find folders/files with owner:group
clamav:clamav and chown to clam:clam. I think you already corrected that
problem.

There are also several differences in the default rpmforge vs epel
amavisd.conf, but I don't think any would stop it from working.

I converted 3 mail servers to epel amavisd/clam\* about a year ago and I
think all conversion issues have been resolved, but you never know. :-)

Steve