[CentOS] Disappearing Network Manager config scripts

Thu May 1 09:08:42 UTC 2014
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>

Keith Keller wrote:

>> I don't mind NM editing resolv.conf if it knows
>> - or even thinks it knows - how to improve
>> on the current settings, but what I don't understand
>> is why it occasionally deletes the current settings
>> without substituting anything else.
>> I can't imagine any situation where this would help?
>> Maybe the present settings are defective in some way;
>> but no settings cannot possibly be better.
>
> No settings might be better.  If I take my laptop from one site to
> another, keeping my previous resolv.conf intact, and NM doesn't remove
> it, then my laptop will try to query the previous site's DNS.  They may
> not like that; depending on how paranoid they are, they may even take
> measures to block my traffic.

Does this happen?
I've never encountered it.
In my case, the probability of my DNS settings in resolv.conf not working
in a new site is close to zero,
so you are replacing something that might possibly not work
by something that is certain not to work.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net