[CentOS] Re-mount a drive using its label name

Fri May 16 17:29:22 UTC 2014
Raghuv Adhepalli <raghuv.adhepalli at seagate.com>

Hello everybody,

I would like your opinion on the following question, why this happens in
centos and how to fix this (or a possible work around).

I have a drive with no partitions and formatted with xfs filesystem. I give
the drive a custom label "mydrive" and I mount it under
/dev/mountpnts/mydrive.
Then, I add a corresponding entry to fstab.

These, are the steps I followed,

mkfs.xfs -L mydrive -f /dev/sdf
mkdir /dev/mountpnts/mydrive
mount -L mydrive /dev/mountpnts/mydrive/

cat /etc/fstab,
LABEL=mydrive /dev/mountpnts/mydrive xfs
noatime,nodiratime,nobarrier,logbufs=8 0 0

These steps mount the drive under the mount point specified.

If I remove the drive and insert it back in after a while, the drive
doesn't mount, even though I have the required entry in fstab.

`mount -a` doesn't seem to work and provides me the following output,

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdj,
       dmesg | tail  or so

If I restart my server, the drive gets mounted in the correct mount point
and works fine.

Can someone please shed some light on why a restart is required to re-mount
a drive and if there is way to mount the drive without a restart.

Thanks,

Raghuv Adhepalli.