[CentOS] Terminal settings

Thu May 1 18:30:28 UTC 2014

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 12:11 PM, Reindl Harald
> <h.reindl at thelounge.net>wrote:
>
>> what is SecureCRT and who needs that?
>>
>> what's wrong with the ordiany OpenSSh client available on any
>> sane system which supports UTF8, colors and what not out of
>> the box?
>>
> Right, one key information missing: I'm working on a Windows machine,
> using SCRT to connect to remote servers - I have no choice, it's company
policy.
> I should also point out that this only happens on newer systems. I have
> some old Fedora and even Redhat machines that don't do that, but I also
> suspect that because they are older machines that have not been (or can
> not be) upgraded to more recent OS's, that they don't have UTF capability.

A suggestion? Your company could save money (I see SecureCRT is
proprietary) - show them putty. It's *very* solid, and lightweight, and
free.

And if you need more security, say, the way we do here (US federal gov't
agency), and some things *require* that we use our PIV cards (for those
civilians in the military sector, the same thing's called a CAC), we use
Reisacher's fork, putty-cac. It's really solid. And saves budget....

         mark